Monday, November 07, 2005

Eat Cricket Sleep Cricket ....

There was a time when I was a huge cricket fan. Or as today's email terminology goes a huuuuuuuuuuuuge fan. I could recite statistics from the 19th century with the same intensity as those that happened yesterday. However as time has gone by, I have become more and more uninterested in the game. I follow the game on Cricinfo, and watch the odd game here and there, but there is no passion any more for the game.

Most of us have lost their "mojo" for the game by the betting scandals that hit the game a few years ago. That was not me. I was passionate for the great game. My favorite players were not even Indian. Mark Waugh, Brian Lara and Saeed Anwar were the best in my book. I have woken up at 3.30 to see Curtly Ambrose bowl to Martin Crowe. Needless to say though, India was my favorite team. Every game, every test match, every session, I would watch on the television. The feeling for the game remained once I got the US as well.

However, somehow over the last six months I have lost it. Surprisingly, India is winning and I still don't feel like celebrating. That was anathema a few years ago. I was so crazy that I even asked for a cricket score during my wedding. But now it's just not there. It may be a case of out-of-sight is out-of-mind. All I know is that there is no connection any more.

Is this a sign of growing up???

No comments: