Friday, March 03, 2006

10 Month resolution

It's been my dream to write a book some day. The problem is I don't have a story. I also have another basic problem. I have non-writer's block. i.e. I am a non-writer and am unable to think of what to write, hence the term non-writer's block. However, i am not going to let that stop me.

I have always wanted to go to a writing class. I would have loved to go while I was at Stanford. Unfortunately at the time, I didn't have the money to waste on stuff that was not going to contribute to my degree. Once I got working, I always thought I should go to a community college for a class that tought me to write a story. But unfortunately, it never worked out. Now, it may too late. In two months we move back to India, where it is likely that I may not get the chance for such a class.

Now, it is up to me to come up with something of my own to realise my dream. I am going to write a story, be it 5 pages or 500. I am going to write a story of my own (may be borrowed or based on something, since I am rarely original). This is going to be my goal for the year. Call it a performance goal for the year. But by Dec. 31 I shall have a story written.

There. I said it. Now all I need is inspiration!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

arrey you can come with plenty of inspiration - how about looking through the eyes of the worklady (bai) and her sources of information - mystery bhi hai aur thrill bhi....

Anonymous said...

hey Chirag,
Tip from a non-professional writer - All fiction (except science fiction) is based on an element of truth - whether that truth be something you saw, something you saw and imagined, something you experienced.

Take some emotion/ conflict (anything - the smallest to the strongest one you've had), put it on paper, build imaginary characters around it, and there you go. A story is made.

Oh well I guess I can talk for hours on writing. So will stop here :)

Babboo