Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Maybe it's just me

Since I am on training in Detroit all week, we decided that D would spend the week in St. Louis at Yasmin's and I would be in Detroit for this week.
 
So here I am all alone, sitting on a lazy Sunday evening, on a hotel bed. Since the hotel here has nothing much as far as TV programming goes, I decided to stick with my usual staple for May. NBA playoffs. I see Dwayne Wade have his mom's name written on his sneakers. ABC has an entire segment donated to that. Well, ok, Mother's Day. To be expected. At the end of the game, there's no end credit roll for the game, instead they have a whole bunch of women carrying a rose each. Hain??? No mention of the final 3 pointers, nothing?? Surely something wrong. So I turn to ESPN. They have baseball on Sportscenter. And, believe it or not, they have pink bats to celebrate Mother's Day.
 
Now, I don't have anything against Mother's Day. I doubt anyone loves and respects their mother as much as I do. (Yeah, T1, my mommy is the bestest mommy in the world!!) But, to me, there's something hypocritical about what these sports organizations did yesterday. After 364 days of pandering for the 18-35 year old men (or boys) to catch their product and no sense of decency in how they package it, there's something fishy when they show saccharine coated images of how they respect their mothers. It sounds like an attempt to stop at nothing to get that one extra person to watch their sports. Maybe it's just me, but to me my family is very personal. I don't want some guy in a suit trying to invade this personal space just so that he can make more money.
 
Maybe it's just me.

No comments: