Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Quick thoughts

It's been 3 days since we got back to Pune. Here's my quick thoughts on how it has gone so far:

- I know it's a cliché but everyone DOES have a cell phone. Everyone but me and my wife that is. Even my grandma has one, and she doesn’t move out of the house

- There's easy money everywhere. And businesses are enjoying. Went out for lunch with a friend today and we got hit by a bill for 215 bucks for daal makhani, jeera rice and 2 masala chhaas. House prices are quite ridiculous. And the folks here are slowly discovering the joys of refinancing.

- Traffic is not so bad when you travel in a company bus. In fact the rush hour traffic works to your advantage when you have to cross the width of the main road on foot. No one's moving and there's no zebra crossing, so you literally walk into the open spaces up front.

- Movie halls play the national anthem before each show

- People want to be cool at any cost. Case in point: At Inox, they play English songs during the breaks. That's fine, but if you play Shaggy, there's something you are definitely not cool!!

- Things are getting a lot more efficient than before. Not a single bag of ours arrived with us. We filed the missing luggage report and had a status on it within 12 hours. The guys at the airport were also quite courteous. The A/C still doesn't work there though.

- Work is fine. Surprisingly I have been busy right from the get go.

- I was surprised to find that I don't feel the need to read the Times of India (or any newspaper) for that matter

- I miss being able to check my email at any time when I am home. I think that's a good thing.

- I think I am going to join a gym. There's one right behind our place. I hope it's open early morning.

- I really don't feel like I was in the US 5 days ago. Everything feels right in place.

- I think I should start a different blog on how India (or Pune at least) has changed since 2001




No comments: