Monday, June 26, 2006

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose - Part Deux

June 30, 1986 – 2 am. (IST)
Argentina – West Germany


We sat up to watch the game. Two 7-year olds watching a game of football held halfway across the world between two teams that we couldn’t even spell. Players we didn’t quite know, and a game that we didn’t quite follow. I had school to go to in the morning. But I sat up till half time. Argentina 1-0. I couldn’t take it any longer. Had to sleep. After all, I was in the 3rd standard. A big boy. And big boys don’t miss school to watch football, do they? I heard all about it the next day (and ever since). Nikhil was on vacation. He didn’t have to worry about Ms. Braganza the next day. Argentina won 3-2. And we've been World Cup fans ever since. Played faux finals in the verandah. Made flags for competing teams. Sat up nights watching the best tournament in the world.

June 30, 2006 – 8 pm. (IST)
Argentina – Germany.


20 years later, life comes full circle. This time I won’t be sleeping. How I wish Niks can make it for this one!

3 comments:

D said...

i hope he does...:)

T 1 said...

do you have your own TV? else you will have to give it for some 'saans bahu' drama.

Sandgroper said...

There's 2 TVs in the house. Exactly for such emergencies.