Saturday, June 16, 2007

Things I think I think (NIBM edition)

10. This is my first TITIT from our new home.. the internet connection is a bit iffy .. the connection is fine .. but figuring out getting the Netgear wireless router working out of a PPPoE connection was quite an experience.. I know I know that it is the duty of Tata indicom (and the like) to avoid other people using the connection, but for God's sake the internet is something that should be made easier.. If wireless internet is possible, they should allow it.. Anyway, if there's anyone with a netgear wireless WGR614 router who doesnt know how to get it to work off a PPPoE connection (Tata, BSNL, Sify), please get in touch..
 
9. The new place is getting some shape .. It feels like a looooooooong project which never gets done .. hope to post some more pictures in time.
 
8. THE RAINS ARE COMING !!!!
 
7. This number is specifically for the 7 wonders of the world contest and the crappy propoganda going on for getting the Taj Mahal as one of the list. Hey, I am as patriotic as my neighbour.. But, honestly, I cannot add the Taj Mahal in the 7 wonders of the world list. Why?.. Simply because, I have not seen the damn thing myself .. How can I be fair to the others in the list if I vote for one which I have not seen? For the record, here is the actual site where you can vote http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php. Looking at the list I not seen a single one... and I bet all the people shouting from their rooftops have not seen them either.... So why oh why should I vote for the Taj.. I am Indian, but that does not mean the Taj should be there on the list.. The same people who want me to vote are the ones who spam us with mails how the Taj Mahal was actually Tejo-Mahalya and some Shiva temple which the evil Mughals converted... The same idiots are the ones who pollute the adjoining river so wonderfully, that the monument has a yellowish taint.. Grow up kids.. Mis-placed patriotism is of no use .. Go see all the other 20 ones on the list, and then decide if the Taj deserves to be on the list.. Not making the list will make no difference to you, nor to the Taj.. Also, I noticed the list doesn't include the Grand Canyon .. There's no way that's a list I want to have any part of.
 
6. While on this list, here are the 7 wonders of the world based on things I have seen in person (TV doesn't count):
        a. Pune Traffic -- Anyone who has driven here will know what I am talking about..
        b. Just about anything to do with Apple Computers
        c. Route 1 driving from LA to San Francisco
        d. The internet - C'mon, definitely it is of more use to you than seeing the Stone Henge
        e. The Grand Canyon - saw it from the window of an airplane. But it was awesome
        f.  The Pacific Ocean. - ON this earth, there is no single thing which is larger than the Pacific Ocean. And it still didn't make the list
       g. Dadar Railway Station, Platform #1, Central Line, 8.14 pm. Friday. - Get into the train, and then tell me it's something that's not a wonder.
 
 
5. Radio Mirchi is in serious need of some competition in Pune .. Obviously it's the most popular radio channel in Pune city. Unfortunately, even though it's not the best radio channel currently on the air, it's definitely the one that most people listen to. It's everywhere. You buy a car, your car radio is preset to 98.3 FM.. Same if you were to buy a CD-Player with FM .. But, in my opinion, it is taking the listeners for a ride.. Commercials are more prominent than songs.. On Sundays, the RJs are replaced totally.. They pitch it as "shut up, I'm listening" Sunday, but the songs are not on all the time. The ads are.. In terms of song time, I bet, there's no difference.. The funny thing is, if a competitor does come along, where would they advertise?? Can someone tell me if I can create a radio channel out of my iPod.. At current status, it can run for 15 days without repeating.. Surely people would like, no? Guys, at least play the songs full. Don't cut to commercial midway through the song. However, credit where credit due.. They are celebrating Fathers Day with the same gusto that they celebrated Mother's Day.
 
4. Father's Day .. Mother's Day .. Valentine's Day.. We never celebrated them when we were kids .. Somehow they never felt that important.. This is a no-win situation.. If you come out against it you are a spoilsport, a cold blooded insensitive twerp who has no graitude and sense of celebration. If you do support it, you are just spending money (which, coincidentally, is exactly what all the guys calling you all those nasty things want you to do) which would have been firmly seated in your own wallet. However, I am going to stick my neck out and say what's been on my mind. I do think it is a conspiracy of all the marketing companies, since there is absolutely nothing to celebrate between New Year and Diwali
 
3. Cheeni Kum is a good movie .. Never thought 20 years ago, that you would see Amitabh Bachchan in a lover-boy role.. I know my Hindi movies, and I don't recall a movie where it was a simple boy-meets-girl, boy-falls-for-girl kind of movie where Bachchan was the boy.. The Angry young man has changed for sure.. The music also is wonderful. Illayaraja is a great musician / composer.. Compared to him, others are music directors.
 
2. Speaking of Hindi film music, I am convinced that it is  Hindi film music which has stifled the development of the music scene in India. Ask anyone even half knowledgeable and he/she will agree.
 
1. Anyone else think Hrithik Roshan does steroids? Look at his body and compare it to the Hrithik of 2000.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this post... since its a long post, I cant discuss everything...

Discussionon wonders are funny... you are humorous..

Well I'm an Ilayaraja fan. All the songs of Cheeni Kum were superhit tamil songs of 1980s... I too am impressed they way you are..

Murugesh