Saturday, September 22, 2007

Things I think I think

-- (For readers in the US only) I am going to be in the US starting Oct. 3 (next week) for about a month. I apologize in advance for not making it to your place. It's not that I don't want to come. I just don't want to promise. Think of it like all your friends in Hyderabad who insist you come over when you are visiting, but you are in Jaipur. Promises made have to be kept, and since I don't know my schedule as such, it might be a problem keeping to promises. I shall definitely catch up over the phone.

-- Twenty20 cricket is mindless entertainment. Cricket's answer to the NFL. Designed for the Sunday afternoon family entertainment. You will watch it and forget it in a few hours. No brooding allowed. If cricket has a chance to enter the American mindset, this one is it. You can sell it like baseball without the gloves, and see it run.

-- That said, I am not too sure the whole thing will succeed in traditionally cricket watching countries. What I see happening is something like rugby, where you play Twenty20 for club, and test matches for country. One day internationals would probably be a thing of the past in the next few years. It's already starting, with a Champions League proposed for next year. One change I would like to see is replacing the bowlers with a bowling machine, which randomly throws balls in any sequence. The bowlers are getting thrashed anyway. Why insult their self esteem?

-- Saw an interesting movie yesterday. Manorama Six Feet Under. Surprisingly good movie. Not as good as Seher, which is my most favourite "pleasant surprise" but quite close. Based loosely on Chinatown, could be a drab for some people, but not all.

-- Mr. Vase, if you like a post, you should comment on the blog. Emailing me is fine, but try to comment, so that I know how many people actually read stuff.

-- BTW, Mr. Vase is organizing a biomedical competition for engineering students to be held at IIT-B in the first week of January, 2008. Those interested should contact me, and I shall put you through to the Man.

-- All else is well in the world. Saturday, laziness, cricket at night.

1 comment:

Meghna said...

looking forward to hearing from you soon!!