Thursday, October 25, 2007

Dumble Dry...

Meghna writes in a comment to my previous post. Here's what I found most interesting.

"I can hope that maybe they will see that being gay is not as awful as a thing as they are being told, but unfortunately, I don't think they will see it this way."


Honestly, I agree with you. I also feel it's not just your family, but probably an entire international society that is in denial. I am sure even the author recognised this, especially since the main target of the book series was children. So then can we accuse JK Rowling of deliberately keeping this away from the reading public so that the popularity of the series doesn't get affected?

But then, that's besides the point. My point was very simple. The series is so wonderfully popular, that people are creating a fantasy in their own mind for no reason at all. What difference does it make to anyone if the character was gay, or bisexual or actually a transvestite if it was not there in the books? Is it worth so much of news space and public thought?

However, Meghna, if your cousins are nine years old, I wouldn't worry so much. I'd be more worried about your uncle and aunt (i.e. their parents) who have supposedly seen the world, but are in major denial. Especially since kids have a sense of logic and propriety that is not very obvious. Simply put, imagine how you were at nine and all that you had been told, and look where you've come in the years since. If you can, surely kids of the twenty first century would not happen to take everything at face value of what their parents teach them? And I bet, if you tell these kids that Dumbledore is gay, they probably would care less.

1 comment:

Meghna said...

I don't know if it's worth so much thought (yet here I go thinking about it some more, and talking about it for the second time today), but I know many people really identify with fictional characters, in books and other forms of media like television or movies. When I was much younger, TV and books were my escape. I definitely identified with the characters I read about more then most of the people I knew. I guess that's why there's such a hub-bub.

As for my cousins, I'll speak to them soon enough to see if they will no longer watch the movies. :)