Sunday, December 02, 2007

Doing your bit for women's empowerment

Women's education is the best solution, I am told for empowering women. I beg to differ. I have a slightly differing approach. Instead of degrees, I would encourage women to get driver's licenses and have the ability to drive and see different places.

There's plenty of women I know who have completed college, have had careers for years now, but still don't like their kids to mix with "that Muslim kid" or "that kid of gay parents". I am willing to bet the female bus driver is a lot more open minded than the female bank clerk who's travelling in her bus. If your daily routine involves going from one place to another, chances are your sphere of exposure is a lot better than sitting at home / in an office, irrespective of what you learned in college. If you are going from place to place, very soon you'd be driving yourself, instead of taking a bus / auto / cab.

I agree it brings the risk of more women drivers on the road (oh, come on.. you know what I mean), and it might screw up the environment with more vehicles on the road, but socially I think it would make a bigger difference.

No comments: