Most generations, have their own styles and sensibilities which when seen out of context 30 years later can be termed as downright crazy. The Germans have a word, (Promptly stolen by Google) called Zeitgeist, which is like the "Ghost of the times".
To give you an example, 2 words should suffice - Bharat Bhushan. How he became such a big star in the 50's is way way beyond me. When my grandparents criticized the movies of my teenage years, all I said was "Bharat Bhushan" and that would make them look away.. or Asha Parekh for my dad.. "Oh Daddyyyy!!!"
But that doesn't mean that the movies I grew up watching and patronizing were not worthy of embarrassment. So in the name of fairness, maturity and "please don't bug me about this anymore when I criticize your favourite movies and movie stars", here are my apologies to my previous and future generations for the following:
- The Punjabization of popular cinema: It was sweet when Kajol and Shahrukh (or should I say Simran and Raj) came from London, with as desi an accent that an "ABCD" (Anglo-Born-Confused-Desi, in this case) can have. But it stopped being fun when Ajay Devgan and Kajol, came from Paris, landed in Mumbai, decided to go to Goa and landed up in "Sarson-ke-khet waala gaon". Things are getting a bit better, but not really.
- Karan Johar and the NRI fascination: I was an NRI for the better part of 5 years. Neither me, nor most of the other NRIs I knew, lived in opulent palaces or broke into shudh Hindustani everytime there was anything worth their time. When Ranbir Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra decide to jump of the Brooklyn Bridge, and then drive from NYC to SFO, part of the reason no-one watches the movie is coz most people are wondering why not just drive from Delhi to Mumbai???
- Bollywood acronyms: DDLJ, again the culprit here, but it's something that shouldn't have happened.
And now, for some apologies for what we had to bear with on the screen:
- Lyrics of A.R. Rehman songs: Melbourne machhli and Maya Machhindra anyone??
- I think when I criticize Annika's favourite stars and songs, her two words for me will be Kumar Sanu..
- For all those who call Aamir Khan a perfectionist, I see their perfectionist and raise them a Raja Hindustani..
- A 40 year old Rishi Kapoor romancing a 17 year old Divya Bharati.
- Sunny Deol's dance steps: Kids of today, Watch. Learn. Enjoy.
And last, but definitely not the least. THE Song, which every 1990s Bollywood fan go red in the face.
My apologies for all of this.
If there's anything else you would want me to apologize for, do let me know..