Sunday, January 01, 2006

Black Beauty???

A couple of days ago, this came out on rediff. Needless to say, I was thrilled and read the interview with Mr. Bhansali. Like all good internet surfers I then went to Google News and proceeded to read all the articles that were on this news item. Of course I am a proud desi and the least I can do is to read all the articles about this.

By nature I am a film buff and also like Richard Corliss' picks. So naturally, I went to the Time magazine website to read his top 10 picks. And guess what I
found? . Yup, that's right there's no mention of Black. All the others are there. The White Diamond is indeed the best film according to him. So, I thought maybe rediff messed up and wrote Richard Corliss instead of Richard Schickel who is also another critic at Time. So I went and checked Schickel's list. No mention of Black there either. After a whole lot of net surfing and google zindabad, I found this list list. Lo and behold, Same Time, same Richard Corliss, and now there's Black. Does he have two separate lists for the best movies of the year? Apparently he does, though the top 4 movies are I think the same. Initially I thought the second list was just European and Asian directors. But the best Asian movie in the original list does not find a mention in the second list. (Note, I call it the original list, simply because I found it first)

Can someone please explain the difference in the two posts? I should also apologize to rediff, since I actually started out this post to blast them (in my own way) about fabricating an entire story. But on rechecking I found the source of their material.

No comments: