Friday, December 09, 2005

Long years ago

As usual was browsing the web while waiting for dinner. Came across this article. ( I guess you can figure out by now that I surf the New York Times a lot)

Anyway, this article reminded me that the Football World Cup is coming up. I know it says soccer, and now I am in USC nation and that football here is different. But football for me will always be the game that had Maradona dribble past half a dozen Englishmen and score past Peter Shilton. It will be the game that had Andreas Brehme score past Goicoichchea (I know I got the spelling wrong) to give Germany the World Cup.

Next June is the World Cup. There is hardly any anticipation in the US for it. There hardly was any fervour here even when they hosted the tournament. I have my own theory for it. I don't think it is going to be successful in the US, as long as they call it soccer. It's football stupids. You use your feet. The Aussies also have their own version of football. But at least they kick the ball!!

Anyway, back to the main point. I can't wait for the World Cup to start. My main worry is that I won't get to see much of it. German time is 8 hrs ahead of here, most games take place at night, so chances are it's gonna take place around the noon time. So, unless I take a month off / travel to India / travel in person to Germany, chances are I won't get to see most of the games. I am so used to watching football in the night. Luckily the last time around it was in Japan / Korea and the feeling of watching the games at night felt like old times. It all started 20 years ago, when it was held in Mexico. My cousin and I would sit up nights and watch the games. Each of us would have our own favourites. We were so enamoured of the whole process, that we played our own version of successive World Cups in anticipation of the next one in Italy. I think we went up to 2024.

It is my dream to watch a World Cup game in person. Don't think this year that is gonna be possible. But some day I have promised myself to watch one in person. I would live to go for it with my kids. For that I need to have kids first. Then I should have them hooked on sports (I know D's gonna kill me). Not just football or cricket. But everything. Tennis, badminton, heck even cheerleading is a sport. And it's fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naah, D will not kill you...even though i cannot relate to the passion SG has for every sport under the sun, its nice to know that he can be so passionate and involved with something. let the kids too be hooked on sports that just means i nag a little harder :)