Saturday, December 10, 2005

Steps to improve Indian cricket

Ever since Jaggu Dalmiya got booted out of Indian cricket, things are going crazy. Our man Pawar and his guys are coming up with radical new ideas. From paanwaalas to premiers, all Indian cricket fans have their own 25 paise to add for improving the whole show. Since I happen to be one (cricket fan, not paanwaala nor premier) as well, thought I should add a few bits of my own. So here goes:

- Make the BCCI a publicly traded company. I bet there's a lot more money on the stock market for the head honchos. All current "posts" at the BCCI are currently honorary. Make them all salaried employees. There's a certain accountability with them. Let's run the damn thing like a company. Let's trade it on the BSE. Currently the BCCI is not answerable to anyone. This way, it is truly answerable to the people of India who spend an amazing amount of time and energy following the team around. If Manchester United can do it, why can't the BCCI?

- Sharad Pawar (hereinafter referred to as SP) had mentioned the need for a CEO for Indian cricket. I have a candidate for the post. And even though I say that I could run it, it's not me. I would like to propose the candidacy of Harsha Bhogle for the position of CEO, Indian Cricket.

Plusses for this candidacy :
--- Qualified. If an IIM graduate is not qualified to run an organization, no one in India can be.

--- Do you know a greater fan of Indian cricket?

--- Has a good rapport with most cricket players of the country.

--- Has seen enough cricket around the world to know best practices.

--- Definitely knows how to make money. He is a superstar journalist with sufficient name recognition. Beat that.

--- Got a better candidate?


Other steps:

- Make it more fun for the fans to attend a game. Trust me, with all the security and all, it's not much fun to attend a game. Couldn't part of the reason that the new players are coming from the smaller towns, is that they love the game more? Anyone in the big cities who has gone to an international game, would definitely swear off the experience thereafter. I guess the shareholders definitely would improve this requirement.

- Try to have the Pakistani teams as part of the domestic competition. They have the best new fast bowlers always. Let our bachcha players get used to the fast ball.

- Try to get some baseball coaches for fielding practice. Ever seen the baseballers throw / catch? amazing.

ANyway, I am only rambling on now. This is it for me, for now.

Till later,

Cheers,
SG

No comments: