Thursday, March 30, 2006

From years gone by

Around the 1994-95 time frame, the WWE was a huge hit in India. Actually it was huge slightly before that too, but that was about the time that we got cable TV in our house. I wasn't a huge fan of the wrestling madness, but it was good popcorn entertainment. And since my brother was a fanatic, it was good fun for me to ridicule his favorites. The older brother in me had more fun in the latter. But there was one guy, that I liked. In that madness Bret "Hitman" Hart was probably the one gentleman. Those days, we used to have these WWF trump cards. Yeah, that long ago, it was called WWF, before the animal rights guys sued them. Bret was ranked #2 in the system (behind Hulk Hogan, who apparently had retired by then). That he was never tops in category (height, weight, biceps, chest .. something else .. T1, refresh my memory here) and yet was #2 behind a guy that was retired (according to the guys whose elder brothers saw it in the US and told them over the phone.. yeah yeah they told me) shows how good he was.

And then one day, he disappeared.

Since I was never a big follower, I assumed he retired like the Hulkster. Forgot about him totally. Till this article in the Sports Illustrated refreshed my mind. Sad story. Proof to the naysayers that the WWE is rigged. (Like there were any!!)I almost felt like telling the guy to do a Satyanarayan Pooja in his house. (Sit through the Mahakatha and you'll know what I am talking about)

Side Note: All those wrestlers from our time. It felt wierd to read their real names. Michael Shawn Hickenbottom. Imagine that!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bret Hart is so different from the current gen of triple H, edge and what not. I hate seeing ric flair and other oldies return and beat other young ones. aint make no sense.

but still professional wrestling is professional wrestling. Wholesome entertainemtn!!! much better that bahu ki bhi kabhi saas thi

Maryum said...

i used to love pro wrestling!! bret hart was my fav :)

Meghna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.