Sunday, June 17, 2007

Stuck in a moment

“Indira would’ve made me President – Venkatswamy”

So screamed today’s headline in the Asian Age. Having no clue as to who this dude is, I decided to check out the article. Mr. Venkatswamy, is apparently a senior Dalit MP, whose goal is to become the President of India. Quite a noble goal, but then if no one has heard of your name, it might be a bit difficult. I doubt anyone has heard of Pratibha Patil either, but knowing what I know now, I’d say at least Sonia Gandhi has heard of her.

But it another thing that got me thinking. Mr. Venkatswamy said Indira Gandhi would have made him the nominee. He didn’t say Rajiv Gandhi or Narasimha Rao, or any other PM, but Indira Gandhi. Someone who died 23 years ago. There’ve been grown adults in India who have no clue about life in India during the rule of Indira Gandhi. But, Indira Gandhi lives on in the hearts and minds of Congressmen (and women). Why, I have no idea. But then, it’s the same every where. George Bush invokes Ronald Reagan whenever he’s in trouble, no matter that RR left the presidency almost 20 years ago.

All our pols (those that count anyway) are over 65 (Sonia is soon catching up). They’re past retirement age. Now wonder they think life was better in the good old days!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really dont understand what you mean to say... but onething is for sure.. We will be missing a good President...