Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Things they don't teach in the best business schools

There's something inherently charming, yet at the same time devious about this news item that I read. Definitely entrepreneurship at its finest.

There's some part of me which finds this extremely charming and wonderful, that people who've never stepped inside a plane, and who've only dreamed about sitting in one would most definitely find this experience exhilarating. Something like what I might feel if someone said I can sit in a simulation / replica of an F-16 fighter jet. Also, the faux capitalist in me, feels that "Captain" Gupta is indeed a visionary in finding a possible revenue stream out of a scrapped airline. You provide a limited service, you make the money.

At the same time, this virtual flight thing is basically making a benefit out of people's lack of opportunity. If flying was within the monetary reach of the average person, I am sure this idea would never have "flown". If you want to provide a service for the greater common good, you ought to be a little benevolent and make it a free trip, don't you think?

Now.. If someone were to make it an "airline finishing school" where they taught people how to behave on a flight, I'd support it whole-heartedly

No comments: