Sunday, April 12, 2009

Things I think I think -- Election edition

- I know I am not contesting the election, and I thought I had made it clear that I wouldn't be, but I got a call this morning, from an old friend from my college days asking if it was true that I was contesting. Which means, someone reads this blog after all. I think I ought to do something about it.

- Now, all the obstacles for my candidacy for the next elections have cleared. The only thing I didn't have on my political CV was nepotism and family history of politics. No more.. My mom's elder brother is indeed contesting the Lok Sabha elections from Pune. His symbol is the torch, so request everyone to take a look at the candidacy of Dattatraya alias Deepak Talgeri. You're in for a fun ride if he were to win.

- Why the BJP / NDA ought to win -- Your "enemy" has presided over the scariest terror attack in the history of the nation, has ruled during the times of the biggest global meltdown in the history of the world barring the Depression, has lost its base support base in the biggest states, doesn't hold the power in any of the major states barring Rajasthan by itself, and really has no dynamic leader barring one, though a dynastic choice, who has said he doesn't want to be the leader. You ought to win, right??

- Why the Congress / UPA ought to win -- You led the country through 5 years with rampant growth despite support from Communists, your policies ensured that even during the greatest trough since the Depression, the economy is at 6% growth, you had to deal with terrorists, but at least you killed them all, and not released some, your leader is a renowned economist, your rural sector growth (roughly 60% of the electorate) has been enormous over 5 years with employment guarantees and proposed national pension schemes. You probably deserve another try (without the Communists this time)

- Why the Third Front ought to win - I don't know. Why Not???

- Why any of them don't deserve to win -

The BJP has no one beyond Advani, who's 81 years old. He says he's 81 years young, but I don't want to hand over my country to an 81 year old. I am not discriminating. I don't want an 81 year old running the coutnry, just as I don't want a 22 year old. And as long as the BJP cannot get to 272 by itself, Mr. Modi is going to remain in Gujarat. He won't even become sports minister, so they do not have another PM. I'd take Rahul Gandhi over Rajnath Singh any day. That, and that they have hijacked my blog with their crappy ads..

The Congress doesn't deserve to win because it is the Congress

The Third Front doesn't deserve to win either because it is simply too regional with too many regional heads figuring in there. It's never going to go 2 years, let alone 5. In times of austerity, I'd rather vote for any of the other two combinations so that we don't have to go through this entire cycle in 2011.

So who deserves to win??

Me.

And my uncle..

And all independents..

Because they're the reason why India is truly the greatest democracy in the world..

2 comments:

avishek said...

I go for the independents...

But the big question is, whether they can stay incorruptible, in this ugly rat race.

Sometimes I feel the parties out here are mere manifestations of the (in)famous Mexican cartels...

Its just that they do not commit genocide..Or do they?

Vivek said...

Nicely written... Adding more to your reasons:

Why BJP Not?
In India if retirement age is 60 for an average man in an ordinary job, so how come a party with a leader of age 81, supposed to run a country whom economy consists of millions of such ordinary jobs.
And one of the most strong reason that I feel it should not (even being from a family, where votes goes to BJP only coz of Atal Bihari Bajpayee's name), strong fundamentalist background and present experiences (attack on girls in Mangalore "BJP lead govt", burning of churches and killing of priests "again BJP lead state govt"). No body in India from Middle Class background wants to see India to get converted into another Pakistan or Bangladesh or Taliban with ruling fundamentalist.

Why 3rd Front?

No need to say much, only Mulayam's party manifesto is sufficient for that, where he wants to pull India to 2-3 decades back...

And still the Issue of Independents, creating a doubt in my mind... We need a party or leader who work for a country but not for a region, any individual who win the elections, using the issues in the locality where he is contesting the election. So how will he/she understands the process of managing a country with hell lot of problems. And consider the case of a Indian Parliament where all the MP are from different regions, and I am sure most of them without common AIM. Then all we can see is CHAOS...